Friday, October 17, 2008

A Father's Prayer

A Father's Prayer
I witnessed a miracle today
a love no soul could meet
now an old man kneels to pray
in this unforgiving sleet
you see, his son, but twenty-one
lies dead beneath his feet

"Dear Lord", he cries in agony
"Please understand my sorrow
my child I now give to thee
my sadness I must harrow
you see, my son, my only one
I must bury him tomorrow

Oh Lord, my God, please hear my prayer
please listen from on high
I come to thee my soul I bear
with this ever faithful cry
you see, your son, this valiant one
now ascends into the sky

I ask of thee a single thing
to bless my boy this day
accept him into heavens wing
prepare for him a way
you see, our son, a selfless one
he saved our lives today

a miracle took place this night
in this damp and icy plain
from the dark he carried light
and relieved us from our strain
you see, this son, angelic one
died to bear our pain

No comments: